With the fuel system plumbed up, I can now focus on the power steering. The MR2 comes with an electric power steering pump. To insure that my rebuilt steering rack will not have any problems I need to clear out all debris in both the steering pump and the reservoir. I ran fluid through the pump a few times to clean it out. All I have to do now is get the feed line crimped at the hydraulic shop.
I now have the VW bug front sway bar finished. After welding it up I smoothed it out with a grinder and sand-paper and then panted it all up. I also finished the drop links and painted them as well. It appears to be OK now but I will have to give it a true teat when I get it driving.
I now have all the vw bug front sway bar weld plugs in place. I drilled small dimples into the sway bar itself to inset the weld plugs. The dimples will insure that the sway bar and the sleeve are as one. I slowly placed each weld to try and retain the original tempering by not over heating the unit.
I have been waiting on a piece of steel tubing so I can complete the front sway bar. Now that it’s here, I can start the modification on the front sway bar. I need to remove 4″ of the sway bar for it to fit with the front end of the VW bug. As you can see I have cut the bar at a 45 degree angle to try and keep the torque from twisting it under load. I will then put a variety of plug welds through the tube into the bar itself.
The radiator will be in the front nose of the VW bug. I need to run coolant tubes from the rear to the front. I will be using 1.25″ aluminum tubing for this. After I get the tubing mounted to the frame I will remove it to apply the heat shielding.
I now have a painted rolling chassis. It indeed looks a whole lot better with paint. The now slow and steady march to assembly starts with the parking brakes. I have to shorten the cables so I cut them and will fray and soldier the ends to the correct length.