Work continues on the VW bug body. I cut a bit more out of the body rails to accommodate the front sway bar mounts. I also got my power steering hose back from being crimped. Getting closer everyday to painting the inside of the big body.
With the chassis removed from the shop, I can bring the VW bug body back in. There is lots to do to the body before it can be reunited with the frame.The sway bar mounts will interfere with the lower body rail mounts, so I need to mark out and remove a bit more steel so that everything will fit together.
I am finally finished with everything that I need to do to the frame before putting the body back on for good. I will need to roll the frame out of the garage and bring the VW bug body back in. Once I finish the repairs and painting on the body I will unite both body and frame for good.
With the fuel system plumbed up, I can now focus on the power steering. The MR2 comes with an electric power steering pump. To insure that my rebuilt steering rack will not have any problems I need to clear out all debris in both the steering pump and the reservoir. I ran fluid through the pump a few times to clean it out. All I have to do now is get the feed line crimped at the hydraulic shop.
The radiator will be in the front nose of the VW bug. I need to run coolant tubes from the rear to the front. I will be using 1.25″ aluminum tubing for this. After I get the tubing mounted to the frame I will remove it to apply the heat shielding.
I now have a painted rolling chassis. It indeed looks a whole lot better with paint. The now slow and steady march to assembly starts with the parking brakes. I have to shorten the cables so I cut them and will fray and soldier the ends to the correct length.