The custom VW beetle now has a lower frame. All of the frame units are made from the same 10 ga. steel as the rest of the frame.
The last Toyota MR2 3SGTE motor mount has been incorporated into the last of the VW bug’s lower frame units. This unit is also the lower portion of the fire-wall.
The VW bug fire-wall has now been built. This wall contains the front MR2 3SGTE motor mount. The fire-wall will need to be welded on the other side when the frame is removed later.
The rear MR2 3SGTE engine cage is similar to the front fire-wall. It has been built to maximize it’s size for the space. Again I can’t weld the rear of the cage until I remove it from the engine.
I had to remove a bit more of the VW bug sheetmetal to get the body back on the custom frame and also over the MR2 3SGTE engine.
The Mr2 rear struts are a close shave. I made these measurments and knew it was going to be tight. Both rear struts, however, do fit inside the VW bug body.
I am starting to position the MR2 front struts through the VW bug body. The strut tops need to be on the inside of the VW bugâ€™s front fender wells.
I have created the rear link between the MR2 Strut tops. This link has been measured to fit inside the VW bug body.
Now for the first time I can lift the VW bug frame up and support it only on the MR2 struts.
I now need to determine the height of the VW bug front strut cross-link. I need to make sure that the brake booster will fit as well as have the correct height for the MR2 front strut compression.