I have so many hours in this hood I could not possibly count them all. I am finally getting around to finishing all the body work on the hood. I am finally getting close to having the entire front end of the VW bug ready for primer. I have also fit an aftermarket rear deck lid. I will need to do a bit more body work on the rear fenders before I can primer the entire car.
I can now cut out the front VW bug strut link with my cut-off wheel. The video stops for some reason during the first cut, but I finally get it all cut out. I have to expand the tubing a bit on the ends so that the MR2 spherical strut mounts will fit. But a little bit more grinding and drilling and it should fit fine.
Now that I have everything lined up and all my measurements, I need to construct the VW bug’s top strut link from 1.5″x1.5″ steel tubing. I slowly cut a 1×2 board down to the correct length and clamped it to the MR2 strut mounts off setting it a bit so I can place the foam template. The foam template will be 1.5″ wide and will fit the front profile of the link.
Now that I have both of the front MR2 strut mounts finished, I put a small bend in the tabs to align them straight across. I then cut a board to fit across both mounts and clamped them to the tabs. With the foam template in place under the board it appears that everything is lining up OK. I will need to remove the VW bug body once more to continue with the lower support.
After some time with the bench grinder, I finished cleaning up the front VW bug/MR2 strut mount tops. I now have to fit them to the spherical bearing mounts. I plan on welding some grade 8 bolts through the holes and then put nuts on the other side. I have to design these so I can take them on and off in the future for maintance.
Now with the MR2 steering knuckle modifications complete, I can reinstall them. I have removed the wood boxes from around the tires so I can test the movement of the steering. With this initial fitting I have discovered that spherical bearing strut mounts will be required. I explain that pieces of wood are supporting the strut tops but they are actually thin pieces of sheet-metal. Anyway it looks as if everything is going in the right direction.